2019-2020 Augusta University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Languages and a concentration in Spanish with P-12 Teacher Certification
The ability to communicate in more than one language has become a prized skill in the global marketplace. The foreign language major with a Spanish education track (P-12 certification) is designed for students interested in the dynamic field of education. Students will learn about the education system of the United States while furthering their knowledge of the Spanish language so that they are prepared to enter the classroom upon graduation. The program combines 30 hours of upper-division Spanish classes and a minor in education.
For more information on admissions requirements, please visit the Office of Admissions website. https://www.augusta.edu/admissions/
Progression and Graduation Requirements
- A grade of C or better is required in all Major Concentration courses.
- Graduating Seniors must take and pass the Spanish exit exam.
- For information on foreign language credit by examination through CLEP, the International Baccalaureate Program or the Defense Language Institute, see the Admissions web page: http://www.augusta.edu/admissions/credit-by-exam.php
- For student and program assessment, the Department of English and Foreign Languages has instituted the following policies. Except where noted, they are intended for all students enrolled in upper division foreign language courses, regardless of major, minor or degree seeking status.
- Portfolios - Students who are completing their fourth upper-division Spanish, French or German course must submit their Junior Portfolio (JP) by the deadline indicated that semester. Students who do not successfully complete their JP will receive an Incomplete in the course.
- Students who have completed nine upper-division Spanish or French courses, or will complete the ninth course during that semester must submit their Senior Portfolio (SP) by the deadline indicated. The successful completion of the SP is a graduation requirement. Students who do not successfully complete their SP will receive an Incomplete in the course. The JP and the SP cannot be submitted in the same semester.
- Departmental Exams - Students who are completing their fourth upper-division Spanish, French or German course must take the departmental exam, level one, during that semester. Students who do not complete the exam will receive an Incomplete in the course. Students who are completing their ninth upper-division Spanish or French course must take the departmental exam, level two, during that semester. Students who do not complete the exam will receive an Incomplete in the course.
- Exit Interviews - All foreign language majors are required to participate in the exit interview the semester they are completing their ninth upper-division foreign language course.