2015-2016 Augusta University Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Social Work
The Bachelor’s of Social Work (BSW) program prepares students for entry into professional social work practice and entry into graduate programs in social work. With a focus on diverse populations, students gain knowledge needed for responsible entry into professional social work practice including a foundational understanding of humans and cultural diversity, ethics, practice standards, values and skills. The program has been developed following the standards set by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE), a nationwide accrediting body. The BSW program is fully accredited by CSWE.
CSWE standards require that students apply for admission into the BSW program. Applicants for admission to the program will be considered by the BSW Program Admissions Committee, which is composed of social work and other social science faculty.
Applicants for admission to the BSW program will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Must be accepted for admission to the university.* If already an enrolled student, must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
- If a transfer student, courses transferred for social work core (that is, courses within the Areas A -F) must meet Social Work GPA requirements of at least 2.5.
- Satisfactory completion of Areas A-E of the core curriculum.
- Satisfactory completion of SOWK 1101 (Grade of B or better) or equivalent from another accredited college.
- For admission to the program in the fall semester, the application must be submitted to the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Social Work by midterm of the preceding spring semester; for admission in the spring, by midterm of the fall semester. Students may obtain the form the Department of Sociology, Criminal Justice, and Social Work.
- Submission of one letter of reference from a professional social worker attesting to the student’s suitability for the social work profession.
- Submission of a statement of interest to the BSW Program Admissions Committee explaining his or her reasons for choosing a career in Social Work.
Once admitted to the program, a grade of “C” or above must be attained in each course to be counted toward the BSW major.
Pre-social work students are those who have declared Social Work as their major and are working on required core courses in areas A-F before seeking admission to the social work program.
After acceptance into the BSW program, students will be assessed additional fees for CSWE membership and requirements.
For more information please visit: